The passing of a loved one is a tragedy under any circumstances, but it is especially painful when their death is another person’s fault. In addition to the heartache and anger you’re likely feeling, you could also be left with serious financial challenges, particularly if your loved one provided for your family. However, you could be entitled to compensation from the party responsible for your loved one’s death. A Plainville, CT, wrongful death lawyer with Jainchill & Beckert, LLC can help you pursue it.
We understand that the legal process can be overwhelming, especially when the loss of a loved one is already too much to process. That’s why we believe you deserve a law firm that will give you the personalized attention needed in your wrongful death case. This commitment to individualized service, experience, and dedication has helped us secure numerous six-figure verdicts and settlements on behalf of clients in wrongful death matters across Connecticut.
We have some of the Best Wrongful Death Lawyers in Plainville
If you have lost a loved one and someone else is to blame, we can help you demand justice for your loved one’s passing. Reach out to Jainchill & Beckert, LLC for a free, no-obligation consultation with a knowledgeable Plainville wrongful death lawyer. Let us take care of your case so that you can focus on mourning your loved one and spending time with your family.
What Is a Wrongful Death Claim?
A wrongful death claim refers to a legal action that allows certain surviving family members to recover compensation when their loved one has died due to someone else’s legal fault. Wrongful death claims arise from the same circumstances that would give rise to a personal injury claim had the victim survived their injuries. Our wrongful death attorneys can guide you through the process.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Plainville?
Connecticut has a statute that governs the process of bringing wrongful death claims as well as who may file one. In Connecticut, only the executor or administrator of the decedent’s estate may file a wrongful death lawsuit. If no estate has been opened for the deceased individual, the court can appoint someone to serve as the decedent’s personal representative for the purposes of pursuing a wrongful death claim. In many cases, a close relative – such as a decedent’s spouse, child, parent, or sibling – is appointed to serve as an executor, administrator, or personal representative. Talk to one of our Plainville wrongful death lawyers today.
Compensation in a Wrongful Death Claim
While no amount of money can bring your loved one back, you deserve the measure of justice afforded by a wrongful death suit. A Plainville wrongful death lawyer with Jainchill & Beckert, LLC can fight to help your family secure maximum financial recovery in your case, including compensation for:
- The medical expenses incurred to treat your loved one’s final injury or illness that was caused by the liable party
- Conscious pain and suffering your loved one experienced prior to death
- Loss of your loved one’s earning capacity and financial contributions to your family
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of consortium, or the affection, society, support, and companionship that the decedent provided to their spouse
In addition, Connecticut law has additional clauses for compensation recovered in wrongful death claims that arise from certain motor vehicle accidents. Compensation can be doubled or tripled if it is proven that 1) the at-fault driver intentionally or recklessly violated certain traffic laws; and that 2) that violation was a substantial factor in causing the decedent’s death.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
At Jainchill & Beckert, LLC, our Plainville wrongful death attorneys represent families who have lost loved ones due to:
- Car accidents
- Uber and Lyft accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Premises liability accidents
- Animal and dog attacks
This is not an exhaustive list. If your loved one passed away and someone else is to blame, a lawyer at Jainchill & Beckert, LLC, can review the circumstances to determine whether the decedent’s estate can file a wrongful death lawsuit. We also can advise on how wrongful death settlements are paid out to beneficiaries in Connecticut.
Statute of Limitations on Wrongful Death Cases in Plainville, CT
Connecticut’s wrongful death statute includes a statute of limitations that places a deadline on when a lawsuit must be filed in a wrongful death case. Typically, a lawsuit must be filed within two years of the date of a decedent’s death.
How Our Plainville, CT, Wrongful Death Lawyers Can Help You
The emotional aspect of losing a loved one is hard enough. When it does happen, you should be focused on grieving for their passing, handling their personal and financial affairs, and learning how to move on without them. But when another party’s wrongful acts caused your loved one’s death, you also deserve to pursue justice for your loved one and your family. A Plainville wrongful death attorney at Jainchill & Beckert, LLC, can help secure accountability from those at fault for your loved one’s passing by:
- Providing you with the caring, personal attention that you need during this difficult time. You will always work directly with one or more of our firm’s partners and will never be passed off to an associate or paralegal.
- Taking the time to answer your questions about your family’s rights and helping you understand what to expect at each stage of your wrongful death claim.
- Thoroughly investigating the circumstances of your loved one’s passing to secure the evidence we need to build your case, and to identify the party or parties who should be held liable in your wrongful death claim.
- Determining whether any insurance policies may cover your loved one’s passing and provide you with a source for compensation.
- Calculating the total losses your loved one suffered as a result of their passing so that we know what fair and full compensation entails.
- Preparing and filing the wrongful death claim and vigorously pursuing the compensation you deserve as efficiently as possible, so your family can continue the healing process.
- Fighting your family’s case in court and, if necessary, at trial to demand justice from those responsible for your loved one’s death.
If your loved one has passed away because of someone else’s wrongful conduct, Jainchill & Beckert, LLC can help you demand accountability and pursue compensation for your loved one’s losses. Contact our law firm today for a free, no-obligation consultation and learn more about our approach to representing families of wrongful death victims.