Workers' Compensation Attorney in Plainville, CT

If you have been hurt on the job, you may be entitled to receive financial benefits through the Connecticut Workers’ Compensation Act. It is designed to provide an injured worker with the resources they need to recover from a work-related injury or illness – without the need to determine fault for the accident or incident that caused it.


One of the Best Workers Compensation Lawyers in Plainville

But what happens if you’re denied workers’ comp? The worker’s compensation attorneys at Jainchill & Beckert, LLC, our goal is to help you get the benefits you’re entitled to due to an on-the-job injury. Contact us today for a free consultation with a Plainville, CT, workers’ compensation lawyer.

What Do Connecticut Workers’ Compensation Benefits Cover?

The Connecticut workers’ compensation system (also referred to as workman’s comp) provides workers with certain financial benefits in the event of a work injury or occupational disease. These benefits are intended to help cover the costs of medical treatment, as well as to make up for lost income if a worker cannot work due to their injury or illness.

The workers’ comp system may also provide benefits to help a worker return to employment if they cannot perform their old job. In addition, if a worker dies due to a work-related injury or illness, workman’s comp can offer benefits to the surviving family.

What Types of Benefits Are Available from Workers’ Compensation?

Under the Connecticut workers’ compensation system, workers may be entitled to a range of benefits.

This list breaks down general types of benefits for workers’ comp claims:

  • Medical treatment ­– Workers can obtain payment for all reasonable and necessary medical care for their work injury or occupational disease.
  • Temporary total disability – If a worker cannot work during their period of recovery from a work injury or occupational illness, they can receive wage replacement benefits. These benefits will be calculated based on how much money you make at the time of the incident.
  • Temporary partial disability – This applies if a worker earns less during their period of recovery after accepting part-time work or being transferred to a lower-paying, modified-duty position. The worker can receive wage reimbursement benefits. These benefits will be calculated based on how much money you make at the time of the incident.
  • Permanent partial disability – This applies to a worker who suffers a permanent partial loss, or loss of use, of a body part due to a work injury or occupational illness. That worker may be entitled to receive payments based on the affected body part, the severity of the disability, and the employee’s basic compensation rate.
  • Relapse or recurrence benefits – These benefits are for a worker who suffers a recurrence or relapse of a previously recognized work injury or occupational illness. In this case, they can resume receiving wage replacement benefits at their compensation rate at the time of the original injury or illness, or their current compensation rate if higher.
  • Discretionary benefits – An administrative law judge may, at their discretion, grant additional financial payments to an employee after they have been paid all their permanent partial disability benefits. These benefits can include payment for permanent, significant scarring or disfigurement, or wage replacement if they cannot find new employment or their new employment pays less than their old job.
  • Job retraining – Workers who cannot return to their previous job can receive vocational rehabilitation and job retraining services to find new work within their physical/cognitive restrictions.
  • Survivor’s benefits in the case of a worker who dies on the job – These benefits are for a surviving spouse or eligible dependent of a worker who died due to a work injury or occupational illness. They may be entitled to receive up to at least $12,000 for contribution toward funeral and burial expenses, plus weekly wage replacement benefits equal to the deceased wage compensation rate at the time of death.

How to File a Workers’ Comp Claim in Connecticut

To file a workers’ compensation claim in Connecticut, you must file a Form 30C with your employer to notify them of your work injury or occupational illness. Once an employer receives a Form 30C from a worker, they are required to forward it to the employer’s workers’ compensation insurance carrier. The insurer will then determine the compensability of the claim.

As part of the process to apply, the worker must also send a copy of Form 30C to their local district office of the Connecticut Workers’ Compensation Commission. It should be sent by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, or delivered in person.

An employer and its insurer have 28 days to evaluate a worker’s claim and either commence paying benefits or deny the claim. If the employer/insurer takes no action after 28 days, the claim is deemed accepted. If an employer/insurer begins paying benefits within the 28-day review period, they have up to one year from commencing benefits to contest the claim. Contact one of our workers compensation lawyers today.

How are My Workers’ Comp Benefits Calculated?

Workers’ Comp benefits are calculated pursuant to statute. First, you calculate your Average Weekly Wage, typically the last 26 weeks of wages. Then you consider your tax filing status and how many deductions you claim on federal and state income taxes. The Workers’ Comp Commission publishes a table annually that identifies what your Compensation Rate will be based on these factors. One of our workers comp attorneys can help.

How Long Does It Take to Receive Workers’ Comp Benefits?

After suffering a work injury or symptoms of an occupational illness, you can immediately begin receiving medical treatment benefits. However, temporary total disability or temporary partial disability benefits will not be paid under workers’ comp until you have missed at least three calendar days from work (not including the day you were injured), with benefits beginning on the fourth day of incapacity. If you suffer temporary total or partial disability for seven or more calendar days, you will be reimbursed for the first three days of work you missed.