A slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall can happen anywhere and at any time, often resulting in serious injuries, expensive medical treatment, and lost wages from time off work. If you fell because of dangerous conditions on someone’s property, you could be entitled to substantial compensation and hold those responsible liable for your injuries.
One of the Best Slip and Fall Injury Lawyers in Plainville
At Jainchill & Beckert, LLC, our attorneys are ready to take the time to get to know you, explain your legal rights, and devise a solid strategy for pursuing compensation for a slip-and-fall accident. With over 55 years of combined experience, our slip-and-fall legal team has the resources and skills you can count on. We know the local court systems, we have a thorough understanding of Connecticut law, and we’re not afraid to fight the insurance companies.
Don’t wait to demand the money and justice you’re owed. Reach out to Jainchill & Beckert, LLC, today for a free initial case evaluation with a Plainville, CT, slip-and-fall lawyer.
When Are Property Owners Liable for a Slip-and-Fall Accident?
A property owner may be liable when a lawful visitor suffers a slip-and-fall accident due to a dangerous or defective condition on the premises. Whether a property owner is liable, however, will depend in part on how the visitor to the property is categorized.
A lawful visitor may be either a licensee or an invitee. Someone who is on a property with the owner’s consent or by legal authority but for their own benefit is a licensee. A common example of a licensee is a salesperson. Someone on a property for the benefit of the owner or occupier, such as a customer or an invited social guest, is an invitee. Contact one of our slip-and-fall lawyers today for help.
Property owners owe these visitors a duty of care, as described below:
- Licensee – An owner or occupier of a property must warn a licensee of any dangerous conditions or hazards that the owner or occupier knows about and that a licensee might not discover.
- Invitee – An owner or occupier of a property must undertake efforts to inspect the property, fix or eliminate any hazardous or defective conditions, and warn invitees of the presence of a dangerous or defective condition that the owner or occupier knows about or would discover through reasonable inspection.
While a property owner has a legal duty to repair or replace a dangerous or defective condition that could cause a slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall accident, they can be liable for such an accident only if they had sufficient opportunity to remedy the hazard.
Compensation Available After a Slip-and-Fall Accident in Plainville
If you were hurt in a slip-and-fall accident in Plainville, CT, you might be entitled to seek compensation related to the slip-and-fall injuries you have suffered. This compensation can cover a wide range of expenses and losses, including:
- Costs of medical treatment for your injuries, including emergency room visits, hospital stays, surgeries, doctor’s appointments, physical rehabilitation, prescription medications, and mobility equipment like crutches or canes
- Costs of long-term home and health care if your injuries result in a permanent disability
- Lost wages if you cannot work while you are recovering from your injuries
- Loss of future earning potential and job benefits if you suffer a permanent disability that prevents you from returning to your job or being gainfully employed
- Physical pain and emotional suffering
- Reduced quality of life due to permanent disability, scarring, or disfigurement caused by your injuries
- Reimbursement for damaged clothing and property, such as eyeglasses or a phone you were holding when you fell
How Can a Slip-and-Fall Attorney Help?
If you were hurt in a slip-and-fall accident, you need time to recover from your injuries. A slip-and-fall lawyer in Plainville can help you by handling all the details of your legal case so you can focus on your treatment and rehabilitation.
When you hire Jainchill & Beckert, LLC, you can expect us to go to work on your behalf by:
- Providing you with personalized representation and attention throughout your slip-and-fall accident case, including working directly with one of our law firm’s partners and answering all your legal questions.
- Conducting an independent investigation of the accident to determine liability and identify all potential sources of compensation.
- Gathering evidence related to the accident and using it to build a solid slip-and-fall claim.
- Documenting your expenses and losses related to the accident so we pursue the full compensation you need now and in the future.
- Communicating with insurance companies and other parties on your behalf, including negotiating with insurers for a fair settlement.
- Taking your case to trial and representing you in court should it present the best opportunity to seek maximum compensation.
Time Limit to File a Slip-and-Fall Case in Connecticut
In Connecticut, the statute of limitations gives you two years from the date of a slip-and-fall accident to file a lawsuit. If you miss this deadline, your case will likely be dismissed. This means you will lose your opportunity to pursue compensation in civil court from the parties liable for your injuries.
There are few exceptions to the statute of limitations, so it’s important to contact an attorney immediately after an accident.
You might think two years is a long timeline for pursuing a lawsuit, but building a solid slip-and-fall injury case can take months. An experienced attorney can keep track of important documents and deadlines for you, allowing you to focus on recovering from your injuries.
Common Places Where Slip-and-Fall Accidents Occur in Plainville, CT
Almost any place can be a spot where slip-and-falls happen, but these accidents tend to occur in busy public places such as the ones on this list:
- Bars and restaurants
- Grocery stores and supermarkets
- Hardware and garden stores
- Malls and shopping centers
- Parking lots and garages
- Public sidewalks
- Office buildings
- Recreational parks
- Amusement parks
- Gyms and fitness centers
- Swimming pools
Common Causes of Slip-and-Fall Accidents in Plainville
Some of the most frequent causes of slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall accidents include:
- Food, liquid, and grease spills on the floor or ground
- Water or other fluid leaks, such as from broken pipes, cracked containers, or malfunctioning refrigerators or freezers
- Tracked-in water, mud, or plant debris
- Freshly mopped or waxed floors
- Slick flooring surfaces, such as smooth hardwood, marble, or glass
- Broken or loose tile or hardwood flooring
- Torn or loose rugs and carpeting
- Uneven floor surfaces
- Broken and uneven pavement
- Snow and ice buildup
- Wires or cords strewn across walkways
- Trash or debris in walking paths
- Open cabinets or doors
- Awkwardly placed furniture
- Broken steps or missing handrails
- Poor lighting
What to Do If You’ve Been Hurt in a Fall on Someone Else’s Property
If you suffered a fall on someone else’s property, you may have options for recovering compensation. But you’ll need to act quickly by:
- Notifying the property or business owner or occupant of the accident and asking for a copy of any accident or incident reports if your fall took place on commercial property.
- If you can, using your cellphone to take pictures and videos of the accident scene, including anything that may have caused your fall, any warning signs, lighting conditions, and weather conditions (if relevant).
- Seeing a doctor or other healthcare provider as soon as possible to get your injuries examined, treated, and added to your medical records.
- Following your doctor’s treatment plan and keeping all follow-up appointments.
- Preserving the clothing and shoes you were wearing at the time of the accident or taking photographs.
- Retaining copies of bills, invoices, and receipts for medical care and other expenses you incur due to the accident.
- Gathering your pay stubs or income records if you miss work due to injuries you suffered in the fall.
- Avoiding discussing the accident on social media or posting photos and videos of yourself while undergoing treatment for your injuries, as insurance companies often monitor accident victims’ accounts for posts they can use to deny or minimize a claim.
- Speaking to a Plainville slip-and-fall lawyer to discuss your case, consider your legal options, and get started on an insurance claim.
Contact a Plainville Slip-and-Fall Attorney for Help Now
If you were hurt in a slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall accident, you might be suffering from painful injuries while facing mounting medical bills and lost wages. The experienced attorneys at Jainchill & Beckert, LLC, want to help you recover compensation for someone else’s negligence.
We are prepared to take on the insurance companies to seek the money you’re entitled to collect. Contact our office for a free initial consultation to learn more about how a Plainville slip-and-fall attorney can help you.