While all injuries can cause pain and disrupt your life, brain injuries are among the most life-altering events that can happen to a person. A blow to the head can cause long-lasting damage to the brain, leading to severe cognitive, emotional, and physical health consequences. When a traumatic brain injury results from another person’s actions, the victim has a right to file a claim to compensate them for their injury-related losses.
If you suffered a brain injury in Hartford due to another person’s negligence, the attorneys at Jainchill & Beckert, LLC, will fight for the compensation you deserve. Our attorneys understand how challenging it can be to secure the money you need, especially when you are recovering from a traumatic head injury. Our legal team will handle the complicated legal process as we fight aggressively for your rights. Contact us today for a free case evaluation to learn how we can help you.
What Is a Traumatic Brain Injury?
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is caused by a blow or jolt to the head that disrupts the brain’s normal function. The injury can be classified as mild, moderate, or severe, depending on the extent of damage to the brain. Even a mild TBI can have serious consequences.
Are There Different Types of Brain Injuries?
There are several types of brain injuries, including:
- Concussion – Temporary loss of normal brain function after a blow to the head
- Contusion – Bruising of the brain tissue
- Coup-contrecoup injury – Bruising on both sides of the brain, caused by the initial impact and the brain rebounding inside the skull
- Diffuse axonal injury – Widespread damage to the long connecting fibers in the brain, often resulting in a coma
- Penetrating injury – An object pierces the skull and enters brain tissue
- Shaken baby syndrome – Violent shaking destroys brain cells and prevents an infant’s brain from getting enough oxygen
In general, individuals with more severe brain injuries can recover more significant compensation than those with mild harm. Speaking with a Hartford brain injury attorney can help you understand how your diagnosis may affect your claim.
What Types of Accidents Can Cause a Brain Injury?
Traumatic brain injuries can occur in many types of incidents, including:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Slip and falls
- Sports accidents
In any of these situations, you may have a right to claim compensation for your injury. An experienced traumatic brain injury attorney can help you understand what steps to take and what compensation you can recover.
What Are Common Symptoms of a Brain Injury?
Common signs and symptoms of a TBI include:
- Headaches or neck pain
- Dizziness and feeling off-balance
- Nausea and vomiting
- Blurred vision
- Light sensitivity
- Ringing in ears
- Fatigue and lethargy
- Difficulty concentrating or remembering
- Mood changes like anxiety or irritability
- Slowed thinking and reaction time
- Disorientation or confusion
- Slurred speech
- Loss of consciousness (even briefly)
If you experience any of these symptoms after an accident, seek immediate medical attention.
Can There Be Long-Term Effects from a Traumatic Brain Injury?
Traumatic brain injuries can cause long-term consequences that affect cognitive, emotional, and physical health for months or years.
Long term consequences of a traumatic brain injury include:
- Impaired memory and concentration
- Communication difficulties
- Sensitivity to light or sound
- Personality changes
- Sleep disturbances
- Movement disorders
- Hormonal imbalances
- Permanent disability or loss of independence
With proper medical treatment and support, some effects of a brain injury may improve over time. However, moderate to severe TBIs can lead to permanent disability. Contact our Hartford brain injury lawyer today.
What Should I Do After Suffering a Brain Injury?
If you have suffered a blow to the head, the most vital step to take is to seek immediate medical attention. Many traumatic brain injuries do not present symptoms for hours or even days after an incident occurs, and the prognosis can worsen considerably without treatment. A licensed professional can conduct scans to detect brain trauma before you experience any symptoms, significantly improving your chances of receiving timely treatment that can limit the extent of the consequences.
After visiting a medical professional, you should contact an experienced Hartford brain injury attorney. A skilled lawyer can investigate the accident, identify all liable parties, and begin crafting a solid case to secure the compensation you deserve.
Can I Recover Compensation for the Accident That Caused My Injury?
If another party was at fault for your injury, you can seek compensation for any losses you incurred due to the accident.
You can seek losses related to a brain injury including:
- Medical expenses – You have a right to claim compensation for emergency room treatment, ambulance rides, scans, surgical procedures, doctor’s appointments, medical equipment, and medication.
- Lost income – If your brain injury causes you to miss time at work, you can recover your lost income in your claim.
- Reduced earning capacity – Many brain injuries are long-lasting, preventing victims from returning to their previous jobs. Your brain injury claim can compensate you for the income you would have made if the injury had not occurred.
- Pain and suffering – In addition to tangible losses with an explicit monetary value, you can also claim compensation for the physical and psychological pain and suffering the injury has caused you.
If the brain injury happened in a car accident, don’t hesitate to contact our Hartford car accident lawyer today.
Is There a Time Limit in Connecticut for Filing My Injury Lawsuit?
Connecticut’s statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits stipulates that an injured party must initiate legal action within two years of an accident date. Failure to meet this deadline may result in losing your right to compensation. Working with a knowledgeable brain injury attorney allows you the peace of mind of knowing that your attorney will file your claim on time.
Contact a Hartford Brain Injury Lawyer
Traumatic brain injuries can turn your life upside-down in an instant. Knowing what to do in the aftermath can be challenging, but working with a seasoned attorney can give you the guidance and advocacy you need. The experienced Hartford brain injury lawyers at Jainchill & Beckert, LLC, understand how devastating brain injuries can be. Our legal team will fight aggressively for the compensation you deserve so you can move on with dignity. Contact us today for a free case review to learn more about your legal options.